In line with Government requirements on closure of public spaces, Marston Magna Parish Council have closed the Play area of the Play park. Safety checks will not be carried out during this period of closure.
We would be grateful if everyone can respect this decision and stay away from the equipment.
Marston Magna is a village situated on the A359 between the villages of Mudford and Queen Camel. It was mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086. The area is 1.392 acres, the soil is rich loam and stiff clay, the subsoil is gravel and clay.
The population at the beginning of the 20th century was 311 persons – now over 400 persons. There are 220 homes in the village, and agriculture is the main use for the land. One main commercial enterprise is Perry’s Recycling. The buses pass through the village on their way to Yeovil, Castle Cary and Shepton Mallet. We are on the main railway line between Bristol & Yeovil, but the station closed in the 60’s.
The church is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and consists of chancel, nave, tower, lady chapel, south porch (vestry) and north porch (entrance). Marston Magna, Mudford, Rimpton. Chilton Cantelo and Ashington are the five villages of this Benefice. The Rector is Revd. Barbara Stanton, who lives in the New Rectory, Camel Street, Marston Magna.
The Village Hall was built in 1994 and replaced an old hut, which was origionally built in 1926, by the Ancient Order of Foresters. The new hall is a modern building and is used very much by all the villagers for many activities.
There is one public house in the village, “The Marston Inn” at the Yeovil end of the village on the A359. It is a good pub and also provides meals and food.
The parish magazine is printed once each month, paid for by the church and free of charge to all inhabitants
M.L. Crabb – Churchwarden